Network messages is used to provide site visitors and users with helpful tips, promotion or news that can be displayed as customizable pop overs or as messages in the header or footer on the front end or inside the dashboard of all sites on your CampusPress network or on specific sites.
It can also be used to add all kinds of codes to different parts of sites. For example, it can be used to set up Google Tag Manager.
Activate Network Messages
To use you first need to network activate network messages as follows:
1. Go to Plugins > Plugin Management in the network admin dashboard
2. Click on Network Activate next to Network Messages.
3. You should now see a new Messages menu item in the network admin dashboard.
Add New Message
You add a new message as follows:
1. Go to Messages > Add New in the network admin dashboard.
2. Add your message.
3. Select your message style.
Options are to display as:
- Inline text in the Header, Bottom corner, Top bar or Footer bar.
- Top Bar – Floating or Footer Bar – Floating
- Custom HTML/CSS/JS – used for to add all kinds of codes to different parts of sites such as Google Tag Manager (refer to usage examples below).
The color is displayed on or under the message.
Example of an inline message on the front end:
Example of an inline message in the dashboard:
4. Choose where you want to show the message.
- Front end
- Dashboard and Front end.
- Specific admin areas inside the dashboard.
5. Select “Block ability to dismiss the message” if you don’t want users and visitors to dismiss it.
6. Select which users see the message.
7. Select the priority of displaying the message.
- Used when more than one message is created for the same location.
8. Optional: Blog ID, Active Plugin and Active theme are used if you want to display the message on specific blog URLs only or when specific plugins or themes are activated. Email email@example.com if you need assistance setting up these options.
9. Select the icon you want displayed at the front of the message.
10. Select the Start and End date of when you want the message to appear.
11. Optional: CSS Styling is used to add your own styling to the message. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance with styling.
12. Click Save Message.
Messages are managed in Messages > All Messages in the network admin dashboard.
Hovering your mouse over a message brings up two action link menu items.
- Edit: When you click on Edit it opens up the message in Edit mode where you change the content of a message or change the start/finish date of a message. Remember to “Select to reset dismiss status. This will make users see the updated version.” if you edit a message to adjust the information displayed before you click Save Message.
- Delete: used to remove a message.
You set up a cookie notice as follows:
1. Add your message.
2. Select Footer Bar – Floating or Footer Bar and Front end.
Google Tag Manager
You can set up Google Tag Manager as follows:
1. Go to Messages > Add New.
2. Click on Switch to HTML Editor.
3. Paste the Google Tag manager header code into the HTML Editor.
4. Select Custom HTML/CSS/JS and Header Tag for message style then Show on Front end.
5. Select your Start/End Date and click Save Message.
6. Go to Messages > Add New.
7. Click on Switch to HTML Editor.
8. Paste the Google Tag manager snippet into the HTML editor.
9. Select Custom HTML/CSS/JS and Footer for message style then Show on Front end.
10. Select your Start/End Date and click Save Message.